Friday, August 3, 2012

My first computer: A Commodore 64

Commodore 64 computer
Image by mwichary licensed under CC BY 2.0

It's funny how now in the 21st century, with all of the modern conveniences that exist, we pretty much take for granted today’s technology. Over the last 15 or so years, the internet has become so ubiquitous and so ingrained in our society that we can’t really picture our lives without it. In fact, internet usage is now a part of many people’s everyday routine. I myself have become reliant on daily internet usage, particularly because of the "at your fingertips" abundance of information that the internet contains -- any topic that you want to look up is just a mouse click away.

Nevertheless, there's just something about the rawness of 80s technology that I happen to miss. The first computer that I ever owned was a Commodore 64. My father bought it for me. The year was 1986. Back then, a Commodore 64 computer was considered state of the art. I remember that the computer had the Basic programming language, and that it required large floppy disks as storage devices. To think of the way technology has changed during the last quarter of a century!

And here's an interesting tidbit about the Commodore 64: it had close to 17 million total unit sales, thus it became the "best-selling single personal computer model of all time" (source: Wikipedia).

Commodore 64 computer screen
Image by regorius licensed under CC BY 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment